It's frustrating because I can't find the quote online and don't have access to the book at the moment. While reading Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, I came across a line declaring that every family has a gospel, the stories that we tell that define our existence. My family lives three thousand miles away, give or take a grand. So where do these stories pop up for me? Largely at my work.
I'm a nighttime bartender at local chain restaurant. I do pretty well. Nothing like I'd make pouring booze down the throats of the leaders of tomorrow downtown at 1 am, but I pay my bills and get to go home before 4 am. So I'm ok with it. I told myself a long time ago that I was done wearing the mask while working in the service industry. I was just gonna talk to people like they weren't paying me, and I'd listen the same way. I like to think it's served me well. As per the gospels, this is where I'll recount the night's events. Not complaining about the fiver on the 90 dollar tab or the woman who tells me that her martini is too strong. This will be where I recount how I define myself to my bar guests.
I want to have a list of stories I've told at the bar or to new acquaintances. By far the most stories I'll tell will be to my bar guests, but occasionally I'm sure to meet new people in more social circumstances. The stories I relate to them in order to find common ground or develop a bond of sorts are exactly what I'm looking to get down. Then the fun will begin on what made me relate that story to that person.
Thanks for reading. Hopefully this is the start of something fun
-Tp
No comments:
Post a Comment